Enrollment for the 2016-2017 school year is full. Information about enrollment for the 2017-2018 school year will be available in January 2017.
OPEN ENROLLMENT JAN. 29 – FEB. 12, 2016
Open Enrollment for the 2016-2017 school year will be held January 29 – February 12, 2016.
The deadline for the submission of all applications for admission to be included in the lottery is FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 2016 at 2:30 p.m.
Completed student applications with supporting documents will be accepted during the Open Enrollment Period, Monday through Friday, at The Museum School of Avondale Estates at 923 Forrest Blvd., Decatur, GA 30030 between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. A public lottery for available student slots will be conducted on Feb. 17 to determine admission for the 2016-2017 academic year.
All persons remaining on the 2015-2016 waitlist as of Jan. 29, 2016, will need to reapply during the 2016 Open Enrollment Period. Applications are also required for incoming siblings of all currently enrolled students and should be submitted during the Open Enrollment Period.
1. Two (2) proof of residency documents as follows:
- A copy of the deed, mortgage, current monthly mortgage statement or current, unexpired lease
- A copy of a current utility bill (within 30 days of date of application); must be gas, water or electric
- A completed, notarized Affidavit of Residency is required only if a parent(s) does not own/lease the residence in which they reside with the student, but student and parent(s) reside with a relative or other person who is the property owner/lessee within the school attendance zone (additional instructions apply to Affidavit of Residency)
2. An original or state-certified copy of the child’s birth certificate (no xerox copies will be accepted)
3. A copy of the child’s social security card or waiver
4. A copy of parent’s photo ID
Applications must be complete as specified above in order to be accepted for processing. Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant at the time of submission and will not be processed until returned with appropriate documentation and marked “complete”.
For the 2016-2017 academic year, The Museum School of Avondale Estates is open to all students in kindergarten through eighth grade who live within the attendance district, subject to availability. The school’s two-tiered attendance district gives priority to children who live in focus area 1, which includes areas zoned for Avondale Elementary School, Knollwood Elementary School and Midway Elementary School, as those zones were defined for the 2011-2012 academic year. If space allows, children who live in focus area 2, which is defined as the remainder of the DeKalb County School District (excluding areas within the City of Decatur and City of Atlanta), are considered for admission.
The two-tiered attendance zone allows The Museum School to provide a quality education to as many children as possible, ensure the school remains financially responsible, and uphold our mission to develop a community school.
Students with a parent or guardian who is a member of the governing board or is a full-time teacher, professional, or other employee of The Museum School, also are eligible to attend.