OPEN ENROLLMENT JAN. 30 – FEB. 10, 2017
Open Enrollment for the 2017-2018 school year will be held January 30 – February 10, 2017. The deadline for the submission of all applications for admission to be included in the lottery is FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 10, 2017 at 2:30 p.m.
Completed student applications with supporting documents will be accepted in person, Monday through Friday during the Open Enrollment Period at The Museum School of Avondale Estates at 923 Forrest Blvd., Decatur, GA 30030 on the days and times as set forth below:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
7:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
7:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
4:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
A public lottery for available student slots will be conducted on Feb. 15 to determine admission for the 2017-2018 academic year.
All persons remaining on the 2016-2017 waitlist as of Jan. 29, 2016, will need to reapply during the 2017 Open Enrollment Period.
Applications are also required for incoming siblings of all currently enrolled students and should be submitted during the Open Enrollment Period. Sibling preference DOES NOT apply to siblings of students currently enrolled in Grade 08.
The Application and Parent Agreement must be completed in entirety, signed and dated, and submitted accompanied by the following supporting documentation:
- Two (2) proof of residency documents as follows:
- A copy of the deed, mortgage, current monthly mortgage statement or current, unexpired lease
- A copy of a current utility bill (within 30 days of date of application); must be gas, water or electric
- A completed, notarized Affidavit of Residency is required only if a parent(s) does not own/lease the residence in which they reside with the student, but student and parent(s) reside with a relative or other person who is the property owner/lessee within the school attendance zone (additional instructions apply to Affidavit of Residency)
- Child’s original birth certificate (no xerox copies will be accepted)
- A copy of the child’s social security card or waiver
- A copy of parent’s photo ID
Applications must be complete as specified above in order to be accepted for processing. Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant at the time of submission and will not be processed until returned with appropriate documentation and marked “complete”.
For the 2017-2018 academic year, The Museum School of Avondale Estates is open to all students in kindergarten through eighth grade who live within the attendance district, subject to availability. The attendance zone for The Museum School of Avondale Estates is divided into 2 areas: First priority is given to applicants residing in Focus Area 1 which follows the boundaries established by the DeKalb County School District for Avondale and Peachcrest elementary schools.* If space allows, applicants residing in Focus Area 2 defined as the remainder of DeKalb County (unincorporated DeKalb), excluding City of Decatur and City of Atlanta attendance zones, are considered for admission.
*The current attendance zone boundaries for Avondale and Peachcrest elementary schools are identical to those established by the DeKalb County School District for Avondale, Knollwood and Midway elementary schools as of the 2011-2012 school year.
The two-tiered attendance zone allows The Museum School to provide a quality education to as many children as possible, ensure the school remains financially responsible, and uphold our mission to develop a community school.
Students with a parent or guardian who is a member of the governing board or is a full-time teacher, professional, or other employee of The Museum School, also are eligible to attend.