October 25th – November 22nd
Statistics show that 1 in 7.5 people, or an estimated 755,00 people, in metro Atlanta and north Georgia turn to food pantries and meal service programs to feed themselves and their families each year. This includes more than 164,000 children and more than 64,000 seniors. Each year, 1 in 7 Americans turn to Feeding America network food banks for help. Each week, the Feeding America network serves 5.4 million individuals. The Atlanta Community Food Bank has been a member of the Feeding America network since 1979.
The Museum School is supporting the Atlanta Community Food Bank by conducting a Canned Food Drive that will begin on Monday, November 26th and end on Friday, December 14th. Please send canned food items such as the ones listed by the end of the collection deadline. Unfortunately, fruit, chocolate candy, and other perishable items cannot be accepted.
Most Needed Items
- Whole grain foods (whole wheat pasta, brown rice, whole grain cereal, whole wheat flour, whole grain crackers, plain oatmeal
- Shelf stable milk (cow, soy, rice, etc.)
- Fruit, dried or canned in light syrup or juice
- Low-sodium, no salt added vegetables
- Low-sodium pasta sauce in plastic container
- Foods high in protein (Natural peanut butter, dried beans, dried peas, dried lentils, canned tuna in water, canned salmon in water, canned chicken in water, unsalted nuts)
- 100% fruit and/or vegetable juice
- Cooking oil (olive oil, canola oil)
- Paper products
Together, we can help stock the shelves of the 600 food pantries, community kitchens, childcare centers and senior centers to feed hungry people throughout greater Atlanta and north Georgia. Please continue to support our Canned Food Drive and our 2018 goal of distributing 3,500 cans within the community!
Video courtesy of TMS AV Club